Sunday, September 9, 2018

How to Avoid Comparing Yourself to Others

When my anxiety was really bad, it seemed impossible to avoid comparing myself to other people.

When I had to teach on my mission or in Relief Society, I would look at other people and think they were much better at teaching than I was. When my friends got asked out on lots of dates, I would think they were much more likable than I was. Even with my own family members I would observe them and think “I will never be as funny, nor as cool, nor as successful as they are.” There was no escaping the temptation of comparing myself to others.

Primary General President, Joy D. Jones, spoke on comparison, saying that “it’s an easy trap. Satan is the father of all lies, especially when it comes to misrepresentations about our own divine nature and purpose...We’ve often been taught, ‘No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.’ We can stop comparing our worst to someone else’s best. ‘Comparison is the thief of joy.’” (“Value Beyond Measure,” Oct 2017)

It’s so true. Comparison robbed me of happiness. It made me blind to what my talents were. But how exactly can we stop making comparisons to those around us?

Relief Society General President, Jean B. Bingham, gave some counsel concerning this, saying,
“Sometimes...we look at what others might have or be and feel we are less in comparison. We become focused on the Pinterest or Instagram versions of life or caught up in our school’s or workplace’s preoccupation with competition. However, when we take a moment to “count [our] many blessings,” we see with a truer perspective and recognize the goodness of God to all of His children.” (“I Will Bring the Light of the Gospel into My Home,” Oct 2016)

As I have tried to be more specific in expressing gratitude to Heavenly Father in my prayers, I have been able to see myself in a “truer perspective,” as Sister Bingham says. He has shown me that I have talents and gifts that I never knew I had, and I know He gives every single person unique abilities.

Throughout my life I have learned more ways to avoid the temptation of comparison. I have accepted that I don’t need to do something the same way someone else does. For example, I don’t need to have the same energetic personality as another to be an effective, engaging teacher. When I have taught in Relief Society, I realize that my teaching style is unique, and that’s OK. I know that the Lord only cares that I am doing my best to teach at all; He doesn’t care if I am the most amazing teacher. Instead of being worried about myself and how I measure up to other teachers that the sisters in my ward have had, I am more concerned with helping the sisters to feel the Spirit.

Service is the best antidote! If I am more concerned with helping others, then I lose the worry over what my capacity is compared to someone else’s. Through me and my talents, the Lord has helped me bless others.

I testify that Heavenly Father has blessed us all with unique gifts. Use your gifts to bless others people’s lives. If you have trouble recognizing your talents, you will come to find them as you serve.


Additional reading:

"Am I Good Enough? Will I Make It?" by Elder J. Devn Cornish
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/10/am-i-good-enough-will-i-make-it?lang=eng

"Please, my beloved brothers and sisters, we must stop comparing ourselves to others. We torture ourselves needlessly by competing and comparing. We falsely judge our self-worth by the things we do or don’t have and by the opinions of others. If we must compare, let us compare how we were in the past to how we are today—and even to how we want to be in the future. The only opinion of us that matters is what our Heavenly Father thinks of us. Please sincerely ask Him what He thinks of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment