Sunday, October 21, 2018

"Martha-like anxiety"

I recently read a talk by the apostle Neal A. Maxwell* where he mentioned that "We can all try to watch out for Martha-like anxiety." That line hit me so hard.

The following story about Martha and Mary is taken from only five verses from the Bible, but it spoke to me more than it ever had before.

     Now it came to pass, as [Jesus] went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:    But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luke 10:38-42, emphasis added)


When you suffer with anxiety, you are literally Martha "being careful and troubled about many things." But you should take a step back and evaluate what is actually important to you. In my life, the most important thing is my relationship with Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ. I can spend all day worrying about things such as my grades at school, or going on dates, or how embarrassing life can be, etc. but truly I only need to focus about what Father and Jesus think of me.

Thinking about what is most important in my life has helped remove a lot of stress. I am a busy college student like so many other people, and I have lots of reasons to stress out. Yet as I have gone to church and to the temple, and as I have read the Bible and the Book of Mormon, I have been reminded of the most important things, and life becomes more bearable.



*Wisdom and Order, Neal A. Maxwell, Ensign June 1994




No comments:

Post a Comment