Thursday, October 15, 2020

Why Can't I Feel the Spirit?



I still laugh at something my therapist told me.

When I was on my mission, I went to therapy for a little while due to my depression. I told her that I was so sad that, whenever a daily miracle would happen--as they do to missionaries--I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t feel motivated or happy that a miracle took place right before my eyes. So my therapist said, “So you go about your day and say, ‘oh there it is, just another BORING MIRACLE.’ ” That made me laugh so hard.


But seriously, when you are depressed or anxious like me, sometimes it can feel like God has abandoned you because it's so hard to feel the Spirit when you have these issues. He hasn’t forgotten you, though; your mental health creates a cloud that leads you to believe His presence is not there. 


I have two ways to help you feel the Spirit if you can't feel it.


Forget yourself


Here’s the key to receiving revelation from the Spirit of the Lord: Forget about yourself and focus on helping someone else. If you ask God to direct you to someone who needs help, He will answer that prayer every time, guaranteed. 


David A. Bednar changed my life when he described what it means to be Christlike. He said, “Character is revealed...in the power to reach out and extend compassion for the spiritual agony of others when we are in the midst of our own spiritual distress. Thus character is demonstrated by looking and reaching outward when the natural and instinctive response is to be self-absorbed and turn inward.” (The Character of Christ, BYU-Idaho, 2003) Instead of turning inward, feeling sorry for yourself, and worrying about what people think of you, you will feel so much better if you reach out to someone who needs help. Of course you should still take care of yourself and get professional help if you have a brain health issue, though--I can’t stress that enough--but no matter what you are suffering with, you have the power to discern and alleviate someone else’s suffering. 


Talk to someone. Anyone.


Another way to cope if you don’t feel the Spirit is to simply talk to someone about how you feel. When two or more people who care about each other are talking, the Spirit is going to be there whether you recognize it or not. “To love another person is to see the face of God,” (Les Misérables.) Willingly be vulnerable and your relationships with others will strengthen.


The most recognizable means that God has answered my prayers is through other people. God has constantly sent me angels in human form. The Lord has said,


And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. (Doctrine & Covenants 84:88)


Don’t these two thoughts contradict each other?


I realize that these two tips that I have given you may seem like paradoxes, but when you live a lifestyle of service like the Savior, you will in return receive the love and help that you need. I am so grateful that I have been called to represent Him, and I am thankful for the people in my life who have helped me see His face and hear His voice through their love for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment